Spatial Welfare Aspects of Limiring Air Pollution: the Danish Experience
AbstractA city system is in balance when no benefit is obtained from moving from one city to another or from one place in the city to another. Air quality today has become important in evaluating quality of life. Air quality differs from city to city and from place to place. The purpose of this paper is, based on collected data, to make a model of the development of air pollution from cars by lead and NOx in Danish cities distributed in the city core and the periphery. The pollution is seen as a function of the number of cars, city size, and various initiatives to clean the air. The model shows that the relative gain of combating air pollution is at a maximum for the biggest towns and city cores and thereby shows that the competitive situation of big towns and city cores can be improved. The balance in the city system will thus be changed as a result of the anti-air pollution programs.
Andersen F.M., Kilde, N. A., Nielsen, L.H. and Prxstgaard, S. (1991) INDUSversion 2. EMIS. A Technical-Economic Forecast Model for the Energy Consumption of the Industry and Energy Related C02-S02 and NOxemissions. Roskilde: Forskningscenter Ris. (In Danish)
Carlino G.A. (1982) Manufacturing agglomeration economies as returns to scale: Production function's approach. Papers of the Regional Science Association, 5:95-108.
Casetti, E. (1972) Generating models by the expansion method: Application to geographical research. Geographical Analysis, 4: 81-91.
Casetti, E. (1986) The dual expansion method: An application for evaluating the effects on population growth on development. IEEE Transaction on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 16(1):29-39).
Fujita, M. (1989) Urban Economic Theory, Land Use and City Size. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Hansen, J.D. and Kristensen, G. (1991) Price profiles for land in Danish urban areas. Urban Studies, 28(2):277-287).
Harvey, D. (1973) Social Justice and the City. Baltimore: John Hopkins.
Iversen, E., Grandjean, P., Hansen, E., Schramm,]., and Nielsen, J. (1989) More Stringent Exhaust Norms for Cars. Orientering fra Milj0styrelsen, Nr. 3. (In Danish)
Krakover, S. (1983) Identification of spatio-temporal parts of spread and backwash. Geographical Analysis, 15 :318-329.
Krakover, S. (1985) Spatio-temporal structure of population in urban regions: The cases of Tel-Aviv and Haifa, Israel. Urban Studies, 22:317-328.
Kristensen, G. (1991) Household and business firm densities in the Danish urban pattern. Geography Research Forum, 11 :51-65.
Kristensen, G. and Jensen, F.P. (1992) Air pollution in Danish cities originating from the heating system A model for measurement and control. 0konomisk Institut Occasional Papers, No. 6/1992.
Maslow, A. (1954) Motivation and Personality. Harper: New York.
Nielsen, A.S., Pedersen, P.H., Schramm, ]., and S0rensen, S.c. (1988) The Total Emission of CO, HC, NOx and Particulates from the Car Park in Denmark. A Forecast from 1980 to 2010. (Laboratoriet for Energiteknik. Danmarks Tekniske H0jskole, RE 88-5). (In Danish)
Nielsen, J.B. and Grandjean, P. (1988) Health Estimation of Exhaust Gasses from Vehicles. Odense Universitet, 3. oplag. (In Danish)
Pindyck, R.S. and Rubinfeld, D.L. (1991) Econometric Models and Economic Forecasts. New York: McGraw-Hill.
The Council for the European Communities (1978). COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 78/ 611/EEC  0.J. L 197/19 relating to the approximation of the laws, regulations and administrative provisions of the Member States concerning the legislation on the content of lead in petrol.
The Council for the European Communities (1982) COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 82/ 459/EEC  0.]. L 210/2 relating to the introduction of a mutual exchange of information and data from net and individual stations which measure air pollution in the member states.
The Council for the European Communities (1982) COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 82/ 8(Y4/EEC  0.]. L. 378/15 relating to limit values for lead in the air.
The Council for the European Communities (1985) COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 85/ 203/EEC  0.]. L 87/1 relating to air quality standards as to nitrogen dioxide.
The Council for the European Communities (1985). COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 85/ 210/EEC  O.J. L 96/25 relating to the approximation of the Member States' legislation about the lead content in petrol.
The Council for the European Communities (1985) COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 87/ 416/EEC  0.]. L 225/33 relating to amendment of Directive 85/ 210/ECC about approximation of the Member States' legislation on the content of lead in petrol.
The Environmental Agency's Air Pollution Laboratory. The National Air Quality Measuring Programme. Air Quality Measurings. Annual Report/Arsrapport 1984,1985,1986, 1987-1989) (In Danish).
The Ministry of Environment's Regulation no. 267 of 8th June 1977: The act on the lead content etc. of motor petrol. Lovtidende. (In Danish)
The Ministry of Environment's Regulation no 354 of 21st June 1977: Regulation on reduction of the content of lead combinations in motor petrol (Lovtidende). (In Danish)
The Ministry of Environment's Regulation no. 27 of 26th January 1981: Regulation on / amendment of reduction of the content of lead combinations in motor petrol. Lovtidende. (In Danish)
The Ministry of Environment's Regulation no. 397 of 10th August 1983: Regulation on reduction of the content of lead combinations in motor petrol. Lovtidende. (In Danish)
The Ministry of Environment's Regulation no. 119 of 12th March 1987: Regulation on limit value for the content of nitrogen dioxide. Lovtidende. (In Danish)
The Ministry of Environment's Regulation no. 807 of 2nd December 1986: Regulation on reduction of the content of lead combinations and benzene in motor petrol. Lovtidende. (In Danish)
The Ministry of Justice. The Department for the Prevention of Accidents. Detailed Rules for Vehicles, 1983/1984/1987/1989. (In Danish)
The Ministry of Justice. (1989) Information on EEC-Directives relating to air pollution. (3/89) (In Danish).
The Ministry of Justice. (1990) Regulations on Amendments of Detailed Rules for Vehicles 1990 (In Danish).
Thrall, G.J. (1982) Public goods, externalities and the consumption theory of land rent. Papers of the Regional Science Association, 50: 131-49.
World Health Organization, WHO (1987) Air Quality Guidelines for Europe. Regional Publications, European Series No. 23.
- The contributor(s) (authors) warrant that the entire work is original and unpublished; it is submitted only to this Journal and all text, data, figures/tables or other illustrations included in this work are completely original and unpublished, and these have not been previously published or submitted elsewhere in any form or media whatsoever.
- The contributor(s) warrant that the work contains no unlawful or libelous statements and opinions and liable materials of any kind whatsoever, does not infringe on any copyrights, intellectual property rights, personal rights or rights of any kind of others, nor contains any plagiarized, fraudulent, improperly attributed materials, instructions, procedures, information or ideas that might cause any harm, damage, injury, losses or costs of any kind to person or property.
- The contributor(s) retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- The contributor(s) are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- The contributor(s) are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Geography Research Forum may disseminate the content of the publications and publications’ Meta data in text, image, or other print and electronic formats to providers of research databases (e.g. EBSCO, GeoBase, JSTOR) to facilitate publications' exposure.